Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Was one of the most quotable speaker of the 20th century. Here are 10 statements indigenous King’s 13-year career as a public number that defined his quest.
You are watching: Martin luther king jr quote the ultimate measure of a man meaning
If you desire to read much more quotes, check out the sources at the end of this story.
10 famed quotes
1. “We are not wrong, we room not not correct in what we space doing. If we room wrong, the can be fried Court that this country is wrong. If we are wrong, the constitution of the United says is wrong. And also if we space wrong, God Almighty is wrong. If we room wrong, Jesus the Nazareth was simply a utopian dreamer that never came under to Earth. If we are wrong, justice is a lie, love has no meaning. And we are established here in Montgomery come work and also fight until justice operation down choose water, and righteousness choose a mighty stream."
Address in ~ Holt Street Baptist Church, Montgomery, Alabama, 1955
2. “Injustice everywhere is a hazard to righteousness everywhere.”
Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
3. “The ultimate measure of a guy is not wherein he stand in moment of comfort and convenience, but where that stands at times of difficulty and controversy. The true neighborhood will threat his position, his prestige, and even his life for the welfare that others.”
From his 1963 book, Strength to Love
4. “There room some things so dear, some things so precious, some things so eternally true, that they space worth dice for. And I send to you the if a man has actually not uncovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.”
Speech in Detroit on June 23, 1963
5. “When we let liberty ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, indigenous every state and every city, us will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black color men and also white men, Jews and also Gentiles, Protestants and also Catholics, will have the ability to join hands and also sing in the indigenous of the old negro spiritual, 'Free in ~ last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are totally free at last!' "
Speech in ~ the Lincoln Memorial on august 28, 1963
6. “I believe that unarmed truth and also unconditional love will have actually the final word in reality. The is why right, temporary defeated, is more powerful than angry triumphant.”
Nobel tranquility Prize acceptance speech, December 10, 1964
7. “We’ve been in the hill of war. We’ve been in the hill of violence. We’ve remained in the mountain of hatred long enough. The is necessary to move on now, but only by moving out the this mountain deserve to we move to the promised floor of justice and brotherhood and also the Kingdom the God. It all boils under to the truth that we should never permit ourselves to come to be satisfied with unattained goals. We must always maintain a kind of divine discontent.”
Sermon at holy place Israel the Hollywood in June 1965
8. “When our days become dreary through low-hovering clouds the despair, and when our nights end up being darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember the there is a creative force in this universe, functioning to pull down the giant mountains the evil, a power that is maybe to make a means out the no way and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long however it bends toward justice.”
Address come the southerly Christian management Conference on august 16, 1967
9. “We all have actually the drum significant instinct. Us all want to be important, come surpass others, to achieve distinction, to lead the parade. ... And the great issue of life is to harness the drum significant instinct. That is a good instinct if friend don't distort it and also pervert it. Don't provide it up. Store feeling the need for being important. Keep feeling the require for being first. But I desire you to it is in the first in love. I want you to be the first in ethical excellence. I want you to be the an initial in generosity.”
Sermon in ~ Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta ~ above February 2, 1968
10. “Well, i don't know what will happen now. We've got some complicated days ahead. Yet it doesn't issue with me now. Due to the fact that I've to be to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like any type of man, ns would prefer to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm no concerned around that now. I simply want to carry out God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And also I've viewed the promised land. I might not acquire there with you. Yet I want you to understand tonight, the we, as a human being will acquire to the promised land. And also I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried around anything.
See more: How Many Stomachs Does A Bison Have And What Does Each, Buffalo Facts
I'm no fearing any man. Mine eyes have actually seen the glory that the resulting the Lord.”