• Most usual blood type• many transfused blood type• deserve to be provided to most patients• entirety blood and double red cell essential most
9% that the U.S. Populace has O- blood
• universal red blood cabinet donor• can be provided to all patients• have the right to only obtain O- blood• totality blood and twin red cells needed most
30% that the U.S. Population has A+ blood
• Tremendous demand for A+ platelets• 2nd most usual blood type• think about platelet pheresis as the best method to help
6% the the U.S. Populace has A- blood
• rare blood type• Donate entirety blood or automated red cells• Plasma and also platelet pheresis are additionally needed
9% the the U.S. Population has B+ blood
• have the right to donate only to B+ and AB+ patients• deserve to receive many blood types• Donate platelets, plasma and also red cells
2% the the U.S. Populace has B- blood
• really rare blood type• Donate entirety blood or automated red cells• Plasma and platelet pheresis are likewise needed
4% the the U.S. Populace has AB+ blood
• very rare blood type• can donate just to AB+ patients• universal Plasma donor• Plasma and platelet pheresis is the best means to help
1% the the U.S. Populace has AB- blood
• Rarest of blood types• deserve to donate just to abdominal muscle patients• global Plasma donor• Plasma and platelet pheresis is the best way to help
Blood is a life tissue created of blood cell suspended in plasma.
You are watching: How much blood is in a unit bag
The cellular elements, red blood cells, white blood cells and also platelets – do up around 45% of the volume of totality blood. Plasma, i beg your pardon is 92% water, renders up the staying 55%.
The median adult has 8 – 12 pints that blood traveling everywhere his or she body v the heart, lungs, arteries, veins and capillaries. Blood is an important part of our bodies the transports oxygen, nutrients, and also metabolic waste. In enhancement to all that, blood performs these functions:Replenishes oxygen and also removes carbon dioxideDistributes necessary nutrients to cellsCarries far metabolic waste materials for disposalRecognizes antigens (foreign substances) and also produces antitoxin (immune defense mechanisms)Clots cuts, wounds and also scratches to stop bleeding
How is blood used?
Blood and its contents have plenty of uses.
Hospitals stock several of the much more common blood contents used in emergencies, but usually blood assets are no ordered until they are needed. Castle are preserved at the Rock flow Valley Blood center until a hospital assignment them.
Red cells can be supplied for 42 days after they are donated. They are supplied in the therapy of accident victims, to replace blood lost during surgery, to treat burn victims and to increase the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. Lock are likewise used in the therapy of anemia that can’t be medically corrected.
Platelets room stored different from other components and also must be used in the 5 days adhering to the donation. Castle are typically used come treat bone marrow failure, leukemia and also cancer patients, short platelet counting or other problems causing abnormally to work platelets.
Plasma has a much much longer shelf life and also is often frozen for later on use. As soon as thawed, plasma is used during cardiac surgery, because that burn victims, and to treat bleeding disorders. Because that example, bleeding disorders can occur in liver failure, as soon as too much of a blood thinner has been provided or when severe bleeding and massive transfusions result in low levels of clotting factors.
Plasma is regularly used to make therapies for bleeding disorders:
Factor VII concentration is provided in the treatment and also prevention the bleeding episodes.
Factor VIII concentrate and cryoprecipitate are offered by patients v hemophilia A (classic hemophilia), i m sorry is led to by a deficiency of factor VIII. Cryoprecipitate is prepared from plasma and contains fibrinogen, von Willebrand factor, variable VIII, variable XIII and fibronectin.
Factor IX concentration is offered by patients v hemophilia B (“Christmas disease”), i m sorry is caused by a deficiency the clotting variable IX.
A transfusion is a procedure that replaces the blood lost by a patient with the blood that a generosity donor favor you!
After you give your blood, if you’re snacking top top cookies and showing turn off your arm wrap, your blood begins its journey to save lives! v one donation, girlfriend can assist save as numerous as up to 3 lives. No wonder aramuseum.org donors and volunteers feeling so amazing. And, who ever thought saving lives might be this easy?
01. everyone in great health, at least 17 years old (or 16 year old v parental consent – click right here for consent form), and also at least 110 pounds might donate totality blood every 56 days.02. 4.5 million American lives are saved annually by blood transfusions.03. 40,000 pints that donated blood are provided each job in the joined States.04. Someone needs blood every 2 seconds.
06. approximately 3 resides are conserved by one pint of donated blood.07. in between 8-12 pints that blood are in the body of an median adult.08. One unit of blood is ~525 mL, i beg your pardon is approximately the tantamount of one pint.09. A newborn baby has about one cup the blood in his body.10. The average transfusion patient receives 3 devices of red blood cells.11. A, B, ab and O room the four main varieties of blood types. Abdominal is the global recipient, O negative is the global donor.12. Blood centers frequently run short of varieties O and also B blood.
14. The really blood donation normally takes less than ten minutes. The entire procedure from the moment you authorize in to the time you leaving takes about an hour.15. providing blood will certainly not decrease your strength.
17. Red blood cells carry oxygen come the body organs and tissue.18. There are one exchange rate red blood cell in 2 to three drops the blood.19. Platelets assistance blood clotting and also give those v leukemia and also other cancers a opportunity to live.20. The shelf life that donated red blood cells is 42 days.21. The shelf life of donated platelets is five days.22. vehicle accident and blood ns victims might need transfusions the 50 pints or an ext of red blood cells.
24. significant burn victims might need 20 systems of platelets throughout their treatment.25. children being treated for cancer, premature infants and also children having heart surgery need blood and platelets indigenous donors of every types.26. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and also patients undergoing open-heart surgery often require platelet transfusions come survive.27. 500,000 americans donated blood in the days complying with the September 11th attacks.
28. 94% the blood donors are registered voters.29. Bone marrow transplant patients can use as much as 120 platelets and also red blood cells from around 20 people.
See more: What Is The Song Dream Weaver About, Dream Weaver By Gary Wright (Warner Bros, 1976)
30. 17% of non-donors mention “never thought about it” as the key reason for not giving, if 15% to speak they’re also busy. The #1 factor donors say they offer is because they “want to aid others.”