Chlorine is a yellow-green gas in ~ room temperature. It is really reactive element and also a solid oxidising agent: among the elements, it has actually the greatest electron affinity and also the third-highest electronegativity, behind only oxygen and fluorine.

You are watching: Chlorine number of protons neutrons and electrons

While perhaps best known because that its function in providing clean drink water, chlorine chemistry likewise helps provide energy-efficient structure materials, electronics, fiber optics, solar energy cells, 93 percent of life-saving pharmaceuticals, 86 percent of chop protection compounds, medical plastics, and also much more.

Elemental chlorine is commercially developed from brine by electrolysis, predominantly in the chlor-alkali process.


Protons and Neutrons in Chlorine

*
Chlorine is a chemical facet with atomic number 17 which means there space 17 protons in the nucleus. Total number of protons in the cell nucleus is called the atomic number of the atom and is offered the symbol Z. The full electrical fee of the nucleus is therefore +Ze, where e (elementary charge) equates to to 1,602 x 10-19 coulombs.

The full number of neutrons in the cell core of an atom is referred to as the neutron number of the atom and is provided the symbol N. Neutron number plus atomic number equals atom mass number: N+Z=A. The difference between the neutron number and also the atom number is recognized as the neutron excess: D = N – Z = A – 2Z.

For steady elements, over there is commonly a selection of stable isotopes. Isotopes are nuclides that have actually the very same atomic number and also are thus the exact same element, but differ in the variety of neutrons. Mass numbers of typical isotopes of Chlorine are 35; 37. 

Main isotopes of Chlorine

Chlorine has actually two secure isotopes, 35Cl and also 37Cl. These are its only two natural isotopes arising in quantity, through 35Cl comprising 76% of herbal chlorine and 37Cl comprising the remaining 24%.The longest-lived radiation isotope is 36Cl, which has a half-life of 301,000 years. All other isotopes have actually half-lives under 1 hour, numerous less than one second.

Chlorine-35 is composed of 17 protons, 18 neutrons, and 17 electrons.

Chlorine-37 is composed of 17 protons, 20 neutrons, and 17 electrons.

See more: 1 Serving Of Rice In Grams Is One Serving Of Rice? How Many Oz Of Cooked Rice Is A Serving

Chlorine-36 is created of 17 protons, 19 neutrons, and 17 electrons. Trace amounts of radioactive 36Cl exist in the environment, in a ratio of about 7×10−13 to 1 with steady isotopes. 36Cl is created in the atmosphere by spallation of 36Ar by interactions with cosmic ray protons.